Security Manager Job Description
The security manager is a very accountable position. That is the person responsible for the safety of information, people, and property of the company. Recruiters always carefully check the resumes of security managers and are more attentive than ever to all details. It’s hard to write such a high-quality resume alone, but you can always rely on ResumeEdge.
What Does a Security Manager Do?
As we have already mentioned, the manager’s main task is to organize and monitor the company’s security operations. The person is obliged to know all the dangers and all security threats. Under their command is the security personnel. The manager must properly coordinate their work. Likewise, this person has to be aware of security standards and implement the necessary policies and procedures. Not all companies need security managers. However, they are indispensable if the company’s industry is:
- Federal services
- Protection of civilians
- Financial transactions processing
For example, a typical safety manager at Boeing receives $120,000 a year. Among the companies in need of security managers, giants are willing to pay high salaries to their employees for compliance with duties. These are companies such as:
- US Army
- US Airforce
- Bank of America
- Lockheed Martin
- United States Federal Government
- Wells Fargo
Security Manager Responsibilities
- Manage a staff of security personnel, and shift supervisors, including hiring, scheduling, payroll, training, coaching, development, and support.
- Develoр, organize, and oversee security programs and projects, including security system standards.
- Implement and monitors the departmental security budget.
- Oversee and administer access control systems, such as hard keys, access card systems, and surveillance cameras.
- Assist with security monitoring activities and electronic security systems management.
- Develop and assess metrics to evaluate the success and efficiency of security programs.
- Ensure consistency and cohesion between physical security concepts and law enforcement initiatives by regularly coordinating with appropriate law enforcement.
- Supervise staff, including recruiting, performance assessments, and disciplinary actions, and ensure that operations align with the company’s aims and objectives.
Security Manager Requirements
The list of requirements for such a responsible position is also relevant. Besides education, many more skills are indispensable for a person applying for the role of a security manager.
- A high school diploma or GED is required.
- Also, a candidate for a security manager must have completed state security training.
- Being a licensed and registered expert.
- Having at least two years of experience in a similar position.
- Experience in access control or preventing illegal activity will be a huge advantage.
- Having a vast knowledge of security procedures.
- To be familiar with surveillance equipment. Obviously, no one can get this desired position without knowledge of security legislation.
Security Manager Skills & Proficiencies
Physical and information security
Information security includes adhering to security principles that reduce the risk of data leakage from hacker attacks. But physical security has responsibilities for protecting the enterprise and monitoring the main premises. Do not forget about access control and various barriers. After all, company values are not only information but also tangible property.
The security manager must know and understand and implement modern authorization features. They ensure that only registered users can enter the company.
Besides knowing the security requirements, you must know precisely how to ensure the integrity and safety of the company. Learn how to adequately protect people, machines, buildings, assets, valuable information, and company systems.
You must be able to communicate with customers to identify their needs and correct them quickly.
Implementation of security procedures
Security procedures are those measures that must be performed periodically to maintain security. The verification protocol also includes verification of information about employees, customers, etc.
Analysis and detection of threats
As the head of the security service, you should be the best at identifying and analyzing threats to your company. Risk assessment is the first step in establishing preventive measures.
Looking at the security manager resume sample, you can see exactly how these skills apply in a resume.
Security Manager Salary Expectations
The average security manager earns $53,000 a year, according to Glassdoor. However, it can be considered a low salary because security managers can receive up to 135,000 dollars a year. Of course, this depends on the companies and the conditions you work in. Some job descriptions contain information about an approximate salary.
The security manager bears a heavy burden because he must physically and informatively protect the company and its interests. This work, however, should be duly rewarded because the more responsibility, the more money you should be offered. So you must study job descriptions carefully. If you are not sure that you can properly present yourself in the job market, then you can always ask the ResumeEdge resume writing service for help. We are always ready to advise you on the right solution for your situation.